Norwich Institute for Language Education (NILE)
Trainer Development: A Course for Teacher Educators
Accommodation Homestay / Residence
Price Range £796.00 per week
Price Includes Course fees, accommodation, social programme
Beginners Not for beginners
Class Size 16 maximum
Course Length 2 weeks
Town / City & Region Norwich , Eastern England
Tuition Style Group
Tuition Hours Per Week 25.0
Ages 18 - 65
Course Type Teachers
- Education and ELT professionals engaged in planning and/or delivering In-Service and Professional Development programmes for teachers
- Education and ELT professionals engaged in designing and/or delivering Pre-service Teacher Education programmes
- Participants with a minimum language level corresponding to C1 on the Common European Framework
As a course participant, you will receive a pre-course questionnaire, which should be returned prior to the course. This is to ensure that the areas of most relevance to you are integrated into the course content. Throughout the course you will be invited to reflect on your own professional practices.
- Key issues and recent developments in training methodology
- Course and programme design for in-service and pre-service purposes
- Approaches to teacher training and education with particular reference to the place of reflective practice
- Facilitation and its place in professional learning
- Development versus training
- Classroom action research and its place in professional development
- The pros and cons of distance courses
- Principles and practice in materials design for teacher training
- Classroom observation and supervision; supervisory styles
- A review of recent literature and other resources in teacher education
Time will be built into the course for reflection and for participants to consider how to adapt ideas from the course to their own professional contexts.
All NILE’s courses involve a significant element of English language improvement and/or development of language awareness.
How long is the course?
The 50-hour course provision includes intensive tuition by trainers who are experts in the fields of trainer training and teacher education, as well as opportunities for reading and research and guest lectures from well-known figures in the field of education and ELT.
Classes are held from Monday to Friday and take place as detailed in the course-specific timetable but always within the hours 0915 – 1715.
What approach is used?
- Classes will be practical and ‘hands-on’, but with reference to relevant theory.
- Courses are participant-centred and entail involvement in tasks and activities which boost confidence and provide memorable learning contexts.
- Tasks will be used to illustrate the key course objectives through procedure as well as content.
- The approach to learning also includes opportunities for reading and research and guest lectures from well-known figures in the field of ELT.
Facilities and resources
NILE course participants have free access to an extensive ELT library and a modern suite of computers with a broadband Internet link. The NILE course venues have a wireless (Wi-Fi) environment. Each course has a Moodle online learning environment where course materials and views of course participants can be shared digitally. This is kept active for at least six months beyond the course so you can keep in touch with your fellow course participants.