Norwich Institute for Language Education (NILE)
Online: Teaching Young Learners
Price Range £41.25 per week
Beginners Not for beginners
Class Size 16 maximum
Course Length 12 weeks
Town / City & Region , Central England
Tuition Style Combination of Group and One to One Tuition
Tuition Hours Per Week 0.0
Ages 18 - 65
Course Type Online
In this course you will examine some principles and practice of Teaching English to Young Learners. You will evaluate and create materials suitable for young learners ages 6 to 11. The practical nature of this course will rely heavily on designing communicative materials to teach language skills, developing effective classroom management skills, and exploring art, drama, music, children´s books and other authentic materials.
You will also investigate some CLIL components suitable for the developmental stages of young learners, as well as digital resources that can be used in high-tech, low-tech and no-tech learning environments. Additionally, you will focus on ways to introduce critical thinking and creative activities to teach different language aspects such as vocabulary, structures and functions.
This course will cover some or all of the following aspects:
• Personal language development
• Insights into cultural and intercultural issues
• Classroom language
• A range of approaches for teaching English to young learners and how such approaches may be realised in the classroom
• Evaluation of materials for teaching English to young learners
• Design and creation of teacher-made materials
• Curricular subjects taught through the medium of English
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of:
• The principles and practice of teaching English to young learners
• Developing critical thinking and cooperative skills
• Digital resources for low-tech, no-tech and high-tech learning environments
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Online courses are broken down into individual units and activities, forming a clear structure. Tasks will be interactive, involving voice chat, forums and community walls, and they will utilize a range of multimedia including images, audio files and videos.
Who should apply
This course is aimed at teachers as well as academic managers in the young learner field (the term ‘young learners’ should be taken to cover the 6-13 age range).
Participants should have a minimum language level corresponding to B1 on the Common European Framework.
How to apply
• Go to the NILE website at www.nile-elt.com Click on the online course tab and choose select the course you are interested in.
• In the Dates & Fees tab, choose which course you would like to attend
• If you already have a NILE account, sign in on the website
• If you do not already have a NILE account, register on the website and then sign in
• Complete the full online enrolment and payment process
• Once we have received notification of your payment, you will be provided with all necessary pre-course documentation
Your fees should be paid in full prior to starting your course.