Norwich Institute for Language Education (NILE)
Online: Teaching English for Academic Purposes
Price Range £41.25 per week
Beginners Not for beginners
Class Size 16 maximum
Course Length 12 weeks
Town / City & Region , Eastern England
Tuition Style Combination of Group and One to One Tuition
Tuition Hours Per Week 0.0
Ages 18 - 65
Course Type Online
The provision of English for Academic purposes is a growing concern for Higher Education (HE) Institutions in both English-speaking countries and in other countries where graduate and post-graduate programmes are taught, resourced or assessed through English.
This has raised many issues including support, cultural expectations and conventions which impact on both the existing and future structure of education. For HE, using English as a medium of instruction raises additional concerns about the extent to which the concerns and conventions of Academic English are relevant across international contexts.
The field of EAP is one of diverse and dynamic research, both within institutions as action research projects in response to local problems, and across HE where common concerns have been identified. Consequently, there is a considerable body of theory avaiable as well as a great deal of practical guidance. This course aims to help you to understand the key issues involved in the design and delivery of EAP and will help you not only develop skills in the practical aspects of EAP instruction, but gain critical awareness of the theory behind it.
This course will cover the following areas:
• The impact of the Content requirements on the language and skill needs of the students
• How culture may affect academic performance and product, focusing on writing
• The main features of academic language, focusing on writing
• The skills related to the different purposes for finding information
• The factors affecting comprehension of texts
• Public and local tests in terms of their assessment of academic skills
• Identifying the roles that IT can play in EAP
• The resources available through IT for skills development
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of:
• The effects that Culture and attitudes can have on the needs and wants of the students in the target situation
• How to define EAP as it required in a target situation, and as it may be found elsewhere
• How Critical thinking skills may be developed at different language levels
• Materials which raise students’ awareness of language differences and requirements
• Materials for developing skills in finding information
• The skills involved in incorporating information into texts
• How to use feedback effectively at different stages of a course, in different roles
• How to evaluate support for IT and Mobile use by staff and students
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Online courses are broken down into individual units and activities, forming a clear structure. Tasks will be interactive, involving voice chat, forums and community walls, and they will utilize a range of multimedia including images, audio files and videos.
Who should apply
For those teachers with a recognised initial teaching qualification and 1+ year of teaching experience; or extensive teaching experience but no recognised teaching qualification.
How to apply
• Go to the NILE website at www.nile-elt.com. Click on the online course tab and select the course you are interested in.
• In the Dates & Fees tab, choose which course you would like to attend
• If you already have a NILE account, sign in on the website
• If you do not already have a NILE account, register on the website and then sign in
• Complete the full online enrolment and payment process
• Once we have received notification of your payment, you will be provided with all necessary pre-course documentation
Your fees should be paid in full prior to starting your course.